Preparation. Intervention. Recovery. Three phases, all equally as important.
In the dental implantology field, it is clear that the patient’s progress is achieved with the intervention. Still, its permanence is thanks to a proper recovery.
The patient should not overlook this, since a large part of the final result depends on how much they take care of themselves.
However, all on 4 dental implants recovery time still generates many doubts for those willing to try this procedure.
For this reason, we want to explain to you the expert’s recommendations with their corresponding times so that you get optimal care in your postoperative period.
What is the postoperative time after the placement of dental implants?
All on 4 dental implants involves surgical intervention. Therefore, it involves a recovery phase. During this time, it is common to experience:
- Wound bleeding
- Swelling in the area up to two days after the intervention
- Low-grade fever up to 72 hours after surgery
The first hours after placing a dental implant
Keeping the stitches for about ten days is crucial once the dentist finishes implant placement.
Little by little, the wound will heal. In the meantime, it is normal for bleeding to occur. We recommend placing a dry gauze on the wound and pressing it.
During the first days after the placement of the dental implant, experts suggest:
- Eat soft foods or liquids that are cold or at room temperature. And avoid the hot ones
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol
- The fever can also rise during the first three days after the surgery, and the inflammation in the jaw. To relieve pain, the patient can apply ice outside the mouth
The weeks after getting a dental implant
Dental implants are made of titanium because this material is highly biocompatible with our bodies. Otherwise, grafting them onto the mandibular bone would cause a severe reaction in our immune system.
Because titanium is highly compatible with our tissues, the complete osseointegration of the implant is allowed. This means that the implant will be fully fused with the bone, making it functional in chewing, phonation, and digestion.
The symbiosis will also affect the implant’s durability, so it is essential to know how to care for them.
All on 4 dental implants recovery time ranges between 1 and 3 months, although in some cases, it may take up to 6 months for osseointegration and placement of the definitive dental prosthesis.
Postoperative care after a dental implant varies according to each intervention, dentist, and patient. But some general recommendations ensure a correct recovery:
- Do not eat or drink hot drinks until the sensitivity in the anesthetized area recovers
- Apply cold to the skin at the height of the intervened area
- Stay hydrated
- Do not chew on the implant area and avoid hard foods
- Do not perform strenuous activities for a week to reduce bleeding
- Avoid tobacco and alcohol
- Avoid brushing the implant area
- Avoid rinsing during the first hours, then do them gently
- Sleep with your head higher than the rest of your body
- Take the analgesics or antibiotics recommended by the specialist
At Previa Implant Center, our goal is for our patients to recover as soon as possible to return to their regular routine without any discomfort.
Our techniques already lean a quick recovery. However, the role of the patient is vital to ensure that the integration process is complete and perfect.
Call us today and begin your journey towards a perfect smile!